Skip to main content

Oru Murai Parthathum - Releasing Soon!



Gautam's dream is finally going to be a reality in two days time!! Yes, this Sunday will witness the official launch of his dream album "Oru Murai Parthathum".....So, mark your calendars for the big event!

Location: M.M. Theatre, No. 137, Kodambakkam High Road, T. Nagar, Chennai – 17
Date: Feb 19, 2006
Time: 10:30 AM
Chief Guests: Music Director, Srikanth Deva; Comedian and Cine Artiste, S.Ve.Sekhar


Here's a small interview I had with him yesterday:

Q. Surprise Surprise! That's the reaction I saw in almost everyone's face when we broke the news about your music album launch. Why was it the best kept secret?

It was not actually meant to be a secret. Even my closest friends came to know about it only by July 2005. Firstly, I had to be convinced myself that I am really going to do such a thing. This was something I had been planning for a long, long time; somehow couldn't find the right kind of time and confidence to implement it. So, I didn’t want to be in a position, where I tell everybody that I am going to do an album and drop the whole idea later. Once all the groundwork was done for the album, I wasn’t sure when I was going to record and then release it. I had to spend some time looking for a recording theater, which fitted my budget. I also had to spend a lot of time in finding a guy who would market the album. I spilled the beans only when I was really sure I was going to release it as early as possible.

Q. I remember you telling me during a casual chat that this was your childhood dream. Can you expand on it a little?

Yes, I knew I could do some composing, when I was in Class X, when I was 14. That was sometime in 1988. The fact that I was an average student made it very difficult for me even to think about getting into extra-curricular activities at that time, so couldn’t learn any instruments. I planned to do something in 1997, but had to drop the idea later, because firstly I didn’t know where to start and it was financially imposing and I didn’t have a job. So, maybe now is the correct time to go for it, as I am financially sound; a little help from my parents of course (laughs!).

Q. It's not easy to work for 12 plus hours every day and then during your free time pursuing your hobby. Where's all that energy coming from?

Frankly, I do no such thing. All the work for the album was done on weekends, especially at night. That is the best time to compose, when the whole world is asleep. No one and nothing to disturb you.

Q. Tell us a bit about your "inspiration" behind making this album.

Doing an album was something I had not planned or even thought about in years. Sometimes you have to meet the correct person for something good to get started. That was exactly what happened. That was in September 2003, I even remember the date, it was September 5, I remember it as if it were yesterday. If you remember RC, we were on our team trip to Mangalore. We were on our way to the shopping mall. The person sitting besides me was Kirishnan. We were casually talking about music. I was complimenting him on his singing talents. I then happened to ask him if he composes. He said, not much, he said that his passion is singing. I don’t know if he remembers, but he posed a question to me if I compose, for which I answered yes, I do. He then suggested that maybe I could do an album, which was exactly what I wanted someone to say to me and remind me of. Most of the songs were composed by March 2004 and all the songs were composed by April 2005.

Q. Tell us a little bit about the album. How many songs? Any specific songs close to your heart?

The album has six long songs, one song about nature, and one sort-of folk song, and the title song “Oru Murai Paarathathum” comes twice, so totally 9 songs. All the songs are really close to my heart, but the one which I really enjoyed composing is the song “Poo meedhu thoongum.”

Q. What message you have to tell all those people who are going to buy CDs/Cassettes?

Since the album was done on a shoestring budget, I would also request people to bear with any technical flaws they might notice. No manual instruments or drums have been used, and the entire background music has been played on the keyboard.

Q. What next? Any new albums coming up?

Yes, the work has already started. When, I can’t really say. First things first.

Comments

  1. I wish you good luck and pray to God that your album has a great success. All the best Gautham. - JvK

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best Gautam... VijayN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ariyaatha pillakku choriyumbol ariyum!

As a kid/teenager, my only source of information to learn malayalam was Manorama Publications' Balaram, a children's fortnightly and my granny. I still vividly remember how she used to teach me the basics of malayalam whenever I come to Kerala on vacations. My granny was also a great source of amazement for me as she used malaylam proverbs or the so called "pazham chollu" every now and then. These proverbs, though small in length and use, had deep insights! Though I can read/write Malayalam today, thx to Balarama and my granny, I used to miss her proverbs a lot. But not anymore!! Thanks to this Wikipedia link , forwarded to me by Vinay

Amul Hits...

[On the TV game show "Kaun Banega Crorepati - 2"] [On the unprecedented heavy rains flooding Mumbai causing loss of lives and havoc to people, their homes & properties] [Take off on the Bollywood film 'The Rising' featuring 'Mangal Pandey' the sepoy of the mutiny] [Rakshabandhan]

Trigger Jeans Showroom!

Trigger Jeans, a wholly owned brand of KG Denim Ltd. has opened its first stand-alone store in Coimbatore. The showroom, inagurated by ace drive Narain Karthikeyan two days back is in Arts College Road, Coimbatore. KG Denim launched the "Trigger" brand of jeans in the year 1995, positioning it as a trendy high quality jeans brand offering the best value. The brand within a very short span has risen to the status of market leader. The brand was only one of the two brands to be awarded the Indis Brand Equity Fund by the Government of India to promote "Made in India" labels worldwide. The Trigger brand is promoted extensively through TV, Print and Outdoor media. The advertising campaign is handled by HTA portraying various passions in the life of a jeans wearer and aims to make "Trigger My Passion" the new buzzword among the younger generation and also making Trigger Jeans their hot favorite. TRIGGER intends to open 100 showrooms in the next 12 months. 25 sho