Skip to main content

Pay Notice!

It's a common practice in BPO companies these days (including mine) where employees just walk off their jobs without even bothering to intimate their employers about their decision to do so. The reasons might be different in each case, but they simply don't have the courtesy to pay notice. And the case is worse, when a competitor of yours poaches your employees and claims no-foul as is in this case with Nirav Mehta, an entrepreneur.

But taking a cue from Rashmi Bansal's piece on a follow-up to the above linked article, I think employees should head to the advise of paying notice before they quit. Here's how she justifies it. Please do read it and hope it englightens you!!

"The world is a complex mesh of relationships. And the working world is no different. At the beginning of your career, it may not be so evident. But 10-15 years down the line you will find that it is the relationships you have built - with bosses, peers, subordinates, even suppliers - which really matter.

In the longer run, it's not just about WHAT you know but WHO you know and what they think of you. Do people trust you? Do they like you? If a background check were to be conducted, would your former employers and co workers refer to you positively?

I am not joking when I say the past comes back to haunt you. Recently, a company in the US contacted me for a reference check on someone who briefly worked with me. A decade ago. The guy had embellished his CV - claiming to have worked for 1.5 years when the actual duration was 6 months.

What's more, he did not leave on a good note. Neither did he keep in touch. I sent a one liner back, with his actual period of employment, as an answer. I don't know if my one line affected his career or not - frankly I don't care.

Similarly, I find many of the people who have worked with me come back requiring recommendation letters when they apply to universities abroad. Or even ISB. And I have, as a policy, decided I will give these letters only to those who I feel good about.

After all, a recommendation letter is not a right but a privilege.

What I am saying is that neither Infosys, nor any other company can stop attrition. People are free to choose employment as and where they wish. Yes, we will all work towards the three important points which Vulture mentioned:

- Brand Value
- Job Content, Ownership, Work Environment (and other unquantifiable attributes)
- Remuneration

But a notice period is above and beyond all this.

Leaving without notice period, to my mind, reflects lack of common courtesy. And it is a behaviour that we as a company do not encourage. If you were already employed somewhere, but willing to join me tomorrow, I would look at it in an unfavourable light.

Other companies are free to have their own policies. And you are free to behave boorishly if you wish. But ten years from now, you may regret this impulsive behaviour.

"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction", as Newton once said. It may take a long time for the other party to find an opportunity to react but destiny generally provides for one.

I mean, God forbid if you harbour dreams of starting your own company... Your former boss - who you so unceremoniously walked out on - is now the CEO of a large company. Which could have been a potential client.

The guy who ended up doing all your work when you scampered off? He ended up at Wharton and is now a venture capitalist you're chasing. Without much success.

And the very notice period you once disdained, is now something you expect from those working with you. In fact, it's a cause you're passionate about :)

So, collect good karma and maintain that positive vibe. Isi mein samjhdaari hai, aur success bhi.
"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ariyaatha pillakku choriyumbol ariyum!

As a kid/teenager, my only source of information to learn malayalam was Manorama Publications' Balaram, a children's fortnightly and my granny. I still vividly remember how she used to teach me the basics of malayalam whenever I come to Kerala on vacations. My granny was also a great source of amazement for me as she used malaylam proverbs or the so called "pazham chollu" every now and then. These proverbs, though small in length and use, had deep insights! Though I can read/write Malayalam today, thx to Balarama and my granny, I used to miss her proverbs a lot. But not anymore!! Thanks to this Wikipedia link , forwarded to me by Vinay

Amul Hits...

[On the TV game show "Kaun Banega Crorepati - 2"] [On the unprecedented heavy rains flooding Mumbai causing loss of lives and havoc to people, their homes & properties] [Take off on the Bollywood film 'The Rising' featuring 'Mangal Pandey' the sepoy of the mutiny] [Rakshabandhan]

Trigger Jeans Showroom!

Trigger Jeans, a wholly owned brand of KG Denim Ltd. has opened its first stand-alone store in Coimbatore. The showroom, inagurated by ace drive Narain Karthikeyan two days back is in Arts College Road, Coimbatore. KG Denim launched the "Trigger" brand of jeans in the year 1995, positioning it as a trendy high quality jeans brand offering the best value. The brand within a very short span has risen to the status of market leader. The brand was only one of the two brands to be awarded the Indis Brand Equity Fund by the Government of India to promote "Made in India" labels worldwide. The Trigger brand is promoted extensively through TV, Print and Outdoor media. The advertising campaign is handled by HTA portraying various passions in the life of a jeans wearer and aims to make "Trigger My Passion" the new buzzword among the younger generation and also making Trigger Jeans their hot favorite. TRIGGER intends to open 100 showrooms in the next 12 months. 25 sho