Skip to main content

Life @ the call center

I am reproducing a write-up here which I saw in TOI's (Times Of India) blog...

I am comin' up with this post because not many people knows what excatly is a 'call centre' or BPOs. I was amazed , believe me when one of my friend who is a DCE graduate started enquirin' about it. There are many misconceptions that people have in their mind about these call centers. Iam here for the past 14 months. Fourteen months is a long time when it comes to any BPO. You will find many people on the first day but the percentage reduces to 70% when one is almost thru with the trainin' processes. Its not that people get chucked out durin' the trainin' sessions- its the erractic schedule- night shift which prompts many to leave in mid- way.

The work schedule depends a lot on the process one works for. If one is workin' for US based process, probably one might be comin' for the evenin' shift which lasts till 4 in the mornin' or beyond that dependin' upon the schedule.Similarly, for UK based process timings would be acc. to european time zone. Same goes for Australian processes too. I think Australian based processes have the best timings acc. to indian standards. You start your work say by 5 or 6 in the mornin' & by noon/eve., you would be back from work. sigh...!!!

All the above mentioned processes can be inbound/outbound. In inbound process, you attend the calls & try to resolve the query/issues which end users face. Wherein in an outbound process, one has to make the calls for say collection or sales. I dont know about the work pressure in outbound process but in inbound process pressure build up whe there is a spike or heavy call flow man... pheww . People with the tech support have the hardest time (thts what i think, as am with the tech. support). One has to guide/instruct the person who is at the other end as how to go about troubleshootin' the issues. While you are reslvin' the issue, one has to take care of parameters too.Dependin' upon the parameters , performance is adjudged.One call makes a lot of difference. And so based upon the performance, growth in an organization in simple terms.

BPO where i work, am with one of the best teams on the floor. To talk about work environment, exposure one is goin' to get in a bpo no where is he goin to get. When i joined in, wasnt sure whether i would stick here for 6 months or not. Because I choose this option as a stopover. Anyways had chance to work with professionals. The best part about bpos,wht i think that you dont have to deal with egos of 40yr olds. :d Once in a while we have our team parties too. Its fun too. I did describe one of parties on my post on MSN. Parties cannot happen without booze. All choice is urs- to drink or not.

I remember this friend of mine sayin' that I must have learnt some 'good'- f*** kind-of-words. I have not seen anybody loosin' patience on the call. But if one does, we are there man... And if end users looses out on patience, our level-2s are always there to help us out. I remember one of my calls which got stretched to approx. 3 .5hrs. that level of patience american fellows have.

One of the good positive side about BPO is the no. of people with you get to interact daily. People travellin' with you in ur cab, cafeteria, other processes. I dont know but the floor 'beams' with positive energy. You can feel it.;-) While on call you can have your coffee, tea/snacks/ chocolate/nythin' u like (though officially its not allowed, but u c law breakers are everywhere). Cellphones are not allowed on the floor but we make sure that there is an exception to it :d At the end of the day while goin' back, FM (93.5)nos. playin' in the cab plays a big role(atleast in my case). It soothes my mind. Workin' in a night shift- well its upto you how one takes it. For the time being i am enjoyin' this shift. Atleast i dont get nightmares durin' day time :-)

Well guys n' gals, ladies n' gentleman.... if you have anyfurther queries, one is most welcome :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ariyaatha pillakku choriyumbol ariyum!

As a kid/teenager, my only source of information to learn malayalam was Manorama Publications' Balaram, a children's fortnightly and my granny. I still vividly remember how she used to teach me the basics of malayalam whenever I come to Kerala on vacations. My granny was also a great source of amazement for me as she used malaylam proverbs or the so called "pazham chollu" every now and then. These proverbs, though small in length and use, had deep insights! Though I can read/write Malayalam today, thx to Balarama and my granny, I used to miss her proverbs a lot. But not anymore!! Thanks to this Wikipedia link , forwarded to me by Vinay

Amul Hits...

[On the TV game show "Kaun Banega Crorepati - 2"] [On the unprecedented heavy rains flooding Mumbai causing loss of lives and havoc to people, their homes & properties] [Take off on the Bollywood film 'The Rising' featuring 'Mangal Pandey' the sepoy of the mutiny] [Rakshabandhan]

Trigger Jeans Showroom!

Trigger Jeans, a wholly owned brand of KG Denim Ltd. has opened its first stand-alone store in Coimbatore. The showroom, inagurated by ace drive Narain Karthikeyan two days back is in Arts College Road, Coimbatore. KG Denim launched the "Trigger" brand of jeans in the year 1995, positioning it as a trendy high quality jeans brand offering the best value. The brand within a very short span has risen to the status of market leader. The brand was only one of the two brands to be awarded the Indis Brand Equity Fund by the Government of India to promote "Made in India" labels worldwide. The Trigger brand is promoted extensively through TV, Print and Outdoor media. The advertising campaign is handled by HTA portraying various passions in the life of a jeans wearer and aims to make "Trigger My Passion" the new buzzword among the younger generation and also making Trigger Jeans their hot favorite. TRIGGER intends to open 100 showrooms in the next 12 months. 25 sho